F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Haute Cuisine de Boardwalk

I spent the fourth of July down the shore with Rockstar & the Red Faced Wonder. And no visit to the Jersey Shore is complete without a trip to the Boardwalk! The Seaside Heights Boardwalk has seen it's share of sleaze but it is a place where my sister & I have many wonderful childhood memories. RFW, having grown up nearby, has equally pleasant memories and it is funny how most of them revolve around the culinary delights on 'the boards'.
On one overcast day we decided to blow some money on skeeball and video games and to have lunch at Jr's. On the menu? Onion rings, cheese fries and for me a cheesesteak with peppers, onions and marinara sauce. No where but down the shore would I even consider eating such a caloric nightmare but maybe it is the salt air that makes everything taste so delicious! My beverage? A "fresh-squeezed" lemonade: sugar, half of a squeezed lemon and water - fantastic!

And belly-ache be damned I just had to finish it off with an ice-cream cone from Kohr's, the premiere frozen custard on the Jersey shore. I had the usual, vanilla with rainbow sprinkles and as much as I want to venture out and have something different it is still my perennial favorite.

Maybe it is the memories associated with these seaside treats that make them so tasty and delicious but just like Bruce said "down the shore everything's all right..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home