F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

f is for frittata

People are often suprised to hear that I am a Weight Watchers "lifer". The same questions usually follow this revelation: How can you be on Weight Watchers and love to eat? I would do it but I would never eat those frozen meals! This from people who know very well that I don't do the frozen meal thing. Can you have that dessert if you're on Weight Watchers? You are on Weight Watchers - but you're not fat, what gives?

This is all a load of shit. Without getting on my WW Soapbox, Weight Watchers is about portion control, meal planning, good nutrition and wise choices. I've had great success following the program sometimes I'm strict, sometimes not so much but come back when I've gained a few pounds. Plus I love to eat but there's a difference between eating good nutritious meals and greasy transfat-laden fast food. And hey, at the end of the day, life's too short to not enjoy every meal to its fullest!

Working in Times Square, there are plenty of overpriced unhealthy nasty tourist-trap lunch options so instead of fighting the crowds of strolling packs of people heading to Bubba Gump Shrimp, I make my own lunch and bring to the office trying to avoid the jealous glances of my co-workers. Sandwiches can be a bit of a snooze, so it is usually something a bit more creative like this week's lunch; a mexican frittata courtesy of the aforementioned Weight Watchers recipe website:

4 large eggs
1/2 cup fat free skim milk
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
15 oz cannned white beans, rinsed & drained
14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, with green peppers & onions
4 1/2 oz chopped green chilis or canned diced green chilis
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese, divided
2 tsp olive oil

Preheat broiler. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cumin & pepper. Stir in beans, tomatoes, chilis and 1/2 cup cheese.

Heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add egg mixture and cook until almost cooked through to surface, frequently smoothing top with back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.

Place skillet under broiler and cook until top is cooked through, about 1 - 2 minutes. Sprinkle top of frittata with remaining 1/4 cup cheese; return skillet to broiler. Broil until cheese is golden, about 1 minute.

Slice frittata into 4 equal weges and serve warm. (6 points per serving in WW-speak)

I also bring a small side salad to round out this midday feast. I was feeling a bit rebellious so this week's concoction was a spinach salad (and I'm still standing) with oranges, pistachios, balsamic vinegar and oil.

How I suffer on this "diet" of mine....don't you feel sorry for me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home