F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Friday, January 19, 2007

A Greek paradise in Midtown

Contessa, RRR & I met up this week at Kellari Taverna just east of Times Square. Contessa had dined here on some recent business trips into Manhattan and we trust her implicitly when it comes to dining decisions (and dirty martinis)!

After a bit of confusion by the coat check attendant, I settled in at the bar to wait for my sister & Contessa. I was instantly mesmerized by the large bowl of olives and enormous platter of fresh bread and cheese the couple next to me were enjoying. To say they were generous would be a gross understatement. I could have sat at the bar drinking wine and eating olives, bread and cheese all night! While we are on the subject of wine, I had an incredible glass of Greek wine that was a blend of cabernet and agiorgitiko. The bartender was more than happy to explain the varietals and how my choice differed from a similar blend aged in oak (mine was a more jammy steel-aged wine).

The dining room was cavernous but the decor was simple and welcoming. The acoustics in our section were not ideal, however, and we did find ourselves straining to hear each other over the loud music. The acoustics at the front of the dining room was completely different, so hopefully they will get this adjusted.

I started my meal with a grilled calamari appetizer. There is something to be said about a restaurant that knows how to prepare fish. The calamari was fresh and there was a sweetness to the beautiful char and light texture to the calamari. RRR, who is not a huge calamari fan, dipped her fork into my plate a few times, a compliment to the chef for sure!

My main was a red snapper cooked in grape leaves with a pumpkin skordalia and sauteed greens. The snapper was simple and delicious but overshadowed by the pumpkin! It was garlicky with chunks of fresh pumpkin and I found it hard to offer my dinner companions some of my tasty treasure!

Being a good little sister, however, I did not renege on our original deal to share our entree since I was also eager to dive into RRR's Pikiliadish, a selection of Hellenic spreads. The creamy tasty spreads were accompanied by some crispy fresh pita triangles and included an eggplant, tzatziki, taramasalata and yogurt & dill.

Contessa enjoyed her Solomos; grilled Atlantic salmon, mashed artichoke-lemon potatoes, and lentils. Our waiter enjoyed Contessa's knowledge of Greek cuisine and was one of many pleasant staff members we encountered that evening.

We were given the offer of enjoying the $30 three course prix fixe menu even though we were beyond the 5pm - 7pm window. If you are heading the theater and want a great meal before, walk as fast as you can through Times Square and enjoy a pleasant meal at Kellari!

The front of house service could use a bit of finesse, but overall Kellari Taverna was a delightful find and somewhere I will certainly return in the near future. The sign above the door says "Enter as Strangers, Leave as Friends" and in this instance they are absolutely right!

1 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the pumpkin side included some almonds - the source of the nutty essence! Yes, the calamari was perfectly cooked - no rubber bands on that plate.

What about the fab yogurt / fruit dessert?? Greek yogurt - a nice tartness with just enough sweetness from the fruit and some honey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home