F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Deja vu at Il Bagatto

Apples made her triumphant return to NYC from California this week. She asked me to pick a good inexpensive Italian restaurant that would be a fun place to meet up with a group of friends. Since she can't get good NYC Italian where she lives now and my reputation for picking good restaurants is growing the pressure was on...

My first reaction was to hit the Lower East Side/East Village area where there are so many small affordable delicious restaurants and eventually decided on Il Bagatto, a restaurant that Peanut D has recommended for years. RRR & I have been to the enoteca, Il Posto Accanto for some fantastic Italian tapas but I've never been to the restaurant next door with the same owner. Or so I thought.

Walking in, I realized that I had indeed eaten there about a year ago and after settling down at the bar downstairs which serves as a bit of a waiting area, I really felt stupid for touting this as a place I've never been. But I digress from the real purpose of this post - a review...

Our growing party caused us to wait beyond our reservation time (our fault not the hostess who was short but understanding) so in the interim, we ordered some appetizers at the bar. We had the bruschetta which was garlicky (and some of the best tomatoes I've had in the winter) served on a beautiful piece of crunchy Tuscan bread. We also ordered the Fagioli Alla Paolona, cannellini beans served in a crockpot with rosemary, garlic and shallots with some salty foccaccia for dipping. Oh Tuscany, how I miss you so!

Once we sat at our table, we continued the appetizer parade with grilled calamari and some sauteed spinach. The calamari had just the right amount of lemon and the char-grilled fish was not too rubbery, not too chewy. Lucky for me, my dining companions were not into the tentacles, score one for the foodie!

The spinach was decent, fresh but nothing special and with three outstanding appetizers to start our meal, I'll give them a pass on the veggies.

The waitress made the decision of what to eat from the limited yet mouthwatering menu choices even more difficult when she told us of nine specials for the evening: apps, pasta, meat & dessert. I believe they offer a multitude of specials nightly and some are much more interesting and regional than the menu offerings.

Apples went with my runner-up choice, the Gnocchetti Verdi E Blu, homemade gnocchi with spinach in gorgonzola sauce. They call it "too good to be legal!" on the menu and by God, they are right! A decadent, rich dish and it is worth every calorie! (although you may want to split a portion as an appetizer or first course if you want to taste but not be stuffed afterwards).

There was only one order of the special short rib ragu rigatoni with pecorino left and I jumped at the chance to grab the final dish. Score another one for the foodie! The ribs were stringy and tender with just the right amount of sweetness to the sauce of this hearty dish. The pecorino added just a bit more salt to the sweet and I didn't stop until I saw the white of the plate.

We were all very happy with our entrees and lucky for me, no one was grossed out by having forks poked into their plates of pasta and veal (here's the classic penne arrabbiata). This makes the meal a trifecta for the foodie!

Our carb and wine coma set in fast & furious so we passed on dessert - maybe next time on my third visit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home