F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Cheeseball Asks the Foodie

Dear Foodie

When I went to the gourmet food store to get some fresh grated cheese to sprinkle into my pasta sauce, I was totally overwhelmed. They have Parmigiano, Pecorino, Romano... All I can tell is what's on the price tags. What makes them different? Which one is best for topping off some marinara?

Love,
Cheeseball



Well Cheeseball,

Thanks for your question and inaugurating "Ask the Foodie". I have to agree with the Molto guru Mario Batali and say that Parmigiano-Reggiano is the undisputed king of all cheeses. The saltiness of this powerhouse cheese stands up to any marinara, especially if it's spicy the way I like it! I find pecorino to be a bit 'sweeter' and not a cheese that would elevate a dish to the next level unless you are looking to counteract a savory pasta (i.e. butternut squash ravioli).

Perhaps my trip to Parma and a visit to a cheese factory has left me a bit biased but the bottom line is this cheese costs a bit more but it is well worth it.

Love to you and all things formaggio,
Foodie

PS - my Grandma preferred Locatelli if you want to kick it old school

1 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheeseball,
Remember - in order for the Parma-Regg cheese to be authentic, it can only be from Parma, Italy - where the Parma cows eat the Parma grass. Accept no substitutions!
RRR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home