F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

More from the WW Recipe Book, this time: Chili-crusted sea scallops

While I was on my soapbox, I thought I'd throw in another Weight Watchers recipe, chili-crusted sea scallops. This one is a regular in my weekday repertoire, since it is ridiculously quick and easy:

3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 pound medium scallops


Preheat broiler

Whisk together lemon juice, sugar, chili powder, lemon zest, cumin, salt and cayenne in a small saucepan; set pan over medium-low heat and simmer until mixture thickens, about 2 - 3 mins. Tranfer mixture to a shallow dish, add scallops and turn to coat.

Transfer scallops to baking sheet (I put mine on some foil right on the broiler) and broil scallops approx 3 - 5 minutes per side.

Serving: approx 4 scallops per person
WW points (if you're counting): 2 points per serving

The spice of the cayenne and the sweetness of the sugar are absorbed by scallops like a sponge. In my opinion better to slightly undercook the scallops so they don't become rubbery. I have always used fresh scallops but I am sure frozen would do the trick as well and I usually omit the cayenne since it is not one of my staple spices.

Tonight I served this with some zucchini I sauteed with garlic and shallots. I had also roasted some asparagus with salt, pepper, garlic powder & thyme but was too hungry and devoured my dinner by the time it was ready to come out of the oven.

I accompanied ths delightful weekday treat with a glass of my new favorite "everyday" wine, a 2005 Old Moon Zinfandel from Trader Joe's.

I threw out the receipt but I think this wine retails in New York somewhere between $5 - 7 bucks, so you are looking at about $4.50 in suburbia. Not too shabby!

I would love for one of you, my now 15 loyal readers (and growing!), to try to make this dish at home and let me know what you think!

3 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Bridget Rockstar!! said...

ridiculously simple to you, to rockstar cooking involving BOTH stove and oven equals super duper special occasion meal.

although it does sound tasty. :)

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Franalicious said...

If you can run 26.2 miles like a rockstar, you can certainly work a stove & an oven simultaneously!

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, if anything, is there to be done about the smell in one's kitchen after working with seafood?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home