F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Ask the Foodie - the Pizza edition

Hey,

One of my cousins is coming to the City to see a play and wants to get good city pizza and I knew you were the "Foodie" to ask!

Hope all is well and the Colts still blow!

Thanks!
BonBon

Well BonBon,

I should know better than to help a disgruntled Pats fan but in your case I will make an exception.

Pizza in New York is an embarrassment of riches (unlike New England) and I am going to give you a few of many cheesy, rich tomato sauced options in NYC.

One of my personal favorites is Gonzo, a delightful warm and cozy restaurant with thin crust pizzas on 13th Street. During my last visit, Alfred Portale was there enjoying a pizza a few tables away and hey, chefs know where to eat!

You can also suggest Otto, a mere blocks away, where Molto Mario Batali dishes up some amazing griddle cooked pizzas...I'm still trying to convince someone to get the pizza lardo (yes, made with lard) with me! Any takers?

Or perhaps your cousins can weigh in on the long-standing debate on whether the best pizza in New York is at Lombardi's in SoHo or Grimaldi's right on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge in DUMBO. Ms. Foodie says...Grimaldi's by a basil leaf.

And finally, you can ask your Boston gal pals what they thought of Patsy's Pizzeria, which has various locations around the city. This is probably your most economical option and again offers thin crusts and fresh toppings.

This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to great pizzas. Just like nail salons and Starbucks you can find great pizza on just about every corner in Manhattan!

Bon Appetit BonBon and GO COLTS!

"Foodie"

2 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey BonBon
Just throwing my 2 cents in: Gonzo is one of my favorites and it is in the bustling Union Sq area. There is another place we have not been to yet for 'za' - Una Pizza Napalentana, 349 E. 19th. The pizza maker is from 'down the shore!' There is also Perbacco (Ms. Foodie, correct me, but we've been there???) at 234 E. Fourth St (Ave. B) in the East Village. GREAT vino selection, great menu and I have blessed the za.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Gals and thank you Miss Foodie & Big Sis(ps did you read the NYT yesterday about Food Blogs, I was considering an editiorial about missing the all important F-is-for-Foodie!)anyway, thank you for the information, or should I say Grazie!I have forwarded it to my cousin and she was very grateful!On a side note, I have dined at Mario's Pizzeria Unateca(SP!) and given my 10 year old a taste of the good life, we started with a cheese plate (yes I was channeling Lynn)she is now in love with Triple Creme!Not a bad thing, I suppose!Thanks again and hopefully I will make it down to the Big City soon to partake with you both!Love, Bon Bon
ps, thank god the Colts won,now Whiny Manning can shut it for the next year, oh wait, we still have to sit through 10,000 commercials of his overatedness!Go Pats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home