F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Probably not my last word on pizza...

But since it is ridiculously easy to make a savory interesting pizza at a fraction of the cost and calories, I thought I'd share one more recent venture into the world of pizza making.

Keep in mind, I do not own a pizza stone (blame it on NYC space prohibitive kitchens) but this post is pretty much geared at my non-cooking friends and loyal readers.

At my last trip to Trader Joe's, I picked up a pre-made whole wheat pizza crust; basically TJ's rip on a Boboli. Since it was whole weight and Weight Watchers friendly I figured why not? A pizza plus a salad will make a lovely lunch for the week.

When it came time to actually make the pizza, it was an exercise in pantry cleaning. I roasted some veggies - zucchini, eggplant and squash sprayed with Pam Olive Oil spray and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a generous helping of fresh thyme and grated nutmeg.

Then came the fun part. A light Pam spray on the crust then a layer of roasted red peppers, the aforementioned roasted veggies, cured olives, spoonfuls of ricotta, a bit more salt and freshly ground pepper and then a 10 - 12 minute trip to my pre-heated 350 degree oven.

Once it came out I drizzled the top of the crispy pie with some olive oil and called it a day.

NOTE: If you are following along on Weight Watchers, the ENTIRE pizza was 24 points and it made six meals for me (along with a small side salad).
Mangia!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some more pizza tips... TJ's also has whole wheat pizza dough (in the refrigeration section). I usually prebake my crust (whether using dough or a premade crust) - just to make sure it is perfectly crisp! Plus if you are precooking your toppings - it saves you some baking time. And I usually sprinkle some of my herbs right on the crust for added flavor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home