F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Don't Knock It Until You Try It

My culinary repertoire contains one standby that often gets looks of confusion and horror when I tell people what it is: cabbage & pepperoni.

Perhaps it is the Italian in me not to have cabbage in a standard Irish fashion but this dish is spicy, light, tasty, filling and savory. The best part is how easy it is to make.

My Mom & cousin Solvita are the inventors of this dish and my addition of white beans is a small adjustment to the original. My friend Rutherford likes to call this cabbage stew, but I feel like it is more of a soup than a stew and it couldn't be easier to make.

First, sautee two sticks of thinly sliced pepperoni in a large stock pot with a few minced cloves of garlic. (Note: I find Boar's Head pepperoni to be spicer and higher quality than most other supermarket brands). The pepperoni is done when it starts to release oil and change color; the oil will be the base for the soup.

Add one can of rinsed small white beans to the pot and let warm.

Finally, add one head cabbage cut into quarters and just enough chicken stock to come about 1/4 of the way up the pot. Cover and wait until the cabbage starts to soften.

Once the cabbage begins to wilt, stir occasionally and season, adding stock as necessary until you get the desired consistency.

2 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just recently made a batch and a couple of variations/suggestions:
1. Don't use turkey pepperoni - use the real thing. The fake stuff adds no flavor.
2. I also add some sliced onions when sauteeing the pepperoni.
3. To make up for the turkey pepperoni mistake, I added chorizo - which added some really intense spice and flavoring. Love the stuff!
4. I also add some water and mine comes out a bit more soupy than Ms. Foodie's. Just a matter of preference / taste.

 
At 4:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Italian background has made me familiar with a dish like this, except, my mother added one pound ground beef with the pepperoni and used beef broth, no beans. It's a great soup/stew!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home