F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

More Asian Inspiration

I am not a "poacher". It is rare that I will poach or blanch anything, just not my thing.

I have however, prepared this chili soy fish poaching sauce, once again courtesy of Weight Watchers. I have many similar recipes but this one in particular is the simplest, lowest-calorie one I have found. In this case, it was a perfect menu choice since all the ingredients I needed were in my fridge.

1/4 cup dry sherry
3 Tbsp sugar
4 medium garlic clove(s), minced
3 medium scallion(s), cut into 2-inch pieces
3 pieces ginger root, cut 1/2-inch thick, crushed
2 sun-dried hot chili pepper(s)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 pound sea bass fillet(s), or red snapper fillets

Place all ingredients except fish into a saucepan. Add 1 1/2 cups of water, or enough to barely cover fish. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add fish, turn down heat and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.

Remove fish. Reduce poaching liquid by half; strain and serve with fish.

For this particular instance, I used some roughy I had purchased at Trader Joe's and crushed red pepper in lieu of chili peppers; it's all working with what you have on hand and using a recipe as a springboard.

I sauteed some bok choy with garlic, ginger and some teriyaki sauce as a side dish and couldn't help but be blissfully pleased with my minimal effort and the fantastic result.

2 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Frannie...I thought that I was your inspirational Asian; but alas, it's fish.
Ron

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Franalicious said...

You are my Asian inspiration! Well actually you and Ming Tsai...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home