F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Foodie's Fish Taco

One of my favorite things about traveling to the West Coast is a chance to enjoy an authentic fish taco. Last trip to Napa Valley, RRR & I enjoyed fish tacos and a tasty shake at Taylor's Refresher. Prior to that a nondescript takeout restaurant in the heart of San Francisco's Mission District was perhaps one of the most memorable fish tacos I've ever had the pleasure of inhaling!

I try to make my own low-calorie no nonsense version at home. The ingredients may shift slightly but the basics remain the same.

Season cod with Pam spray (or real olive oil), salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place fish in a heated grill pan and saute. Once it starts to brown, zest some lime, add a bit of the lime juice and top with fresh chopped cilantro. Carefully flip the cod and repeat process on the other side, approximately 8 minutes total depending on the thickness of the fish.

While the fish is cooking, wrap tortillas (I prefer whole wheat or spinach) in foil and place in a warm 250 degree oven until pliable but not too crisp.
Chop whatever toppings you choose! The Italian in me forbids me from putting cheese anywhere near fish, so I usually chop some fresh mesclun along with some more cilantro, tomatoes and a generous helping of salsa. I try to buy Newman's Own Pineapple Salsa to add a bit of sweetness to balance out the dish but any salsa will do.
Assemble, wrap and enjoy! Just be sure to have plenty of napkins handy!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home