F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Ask the Foodie - Getting Cheesy

Dear Ms. Foodie-

I'm a cheddar guy.

I love the sharp flavor and semi-hard texture. I often enjoy a few hunks with a crisp, tart apple as my after-dinner dessert.

However, my palette longs to graze in more exotic cheese pastures. I tried mixing Gruyere and Gouda into the rotation but found them forgettable at best.

I've started getting brie and -- just yesterday -- Camembert for the first time, to great enjoyment.

Can you recommend any other good cheese selections for hors d'oeuvres / midnight snack purposes? I'm not opposed to a little stinkyness, provided I won't gag for having eaten it.

xo,
Cheesy J.




Cheesy,

Thanks for the email and please forgive Ms. Foodie for her delinquent response. In light of the Packers victory this weekend, it seemed appropriate to answer your cheesy question today.

When it comes to cheese, there's an embarrassment of riches, especially if you live in a metropolitan area. I would suggest a visit to your local Whole Foods or gourmet market and doing a taste test, although most local supermarkets carry a wide selection as well. Most cheese mongers would be more than happy to give you samples of the many different cheeses available (i.e. sheep, goat, cow, soft, semi-soft, hard, etc) so be adventurous and see what suits you!

You are certainly on the right track with Camembert, however, try putting in a warm oven (250 for ten minutes) and serving it with a crunchy baquette. If you are looking for hard sharp cheeses, what about a nice ricotta salata? It's my Dad's favorite, although he prefers his ricotta salata with a smooth gin and tonic!

And while Gouda might not have "wowed" you, why not venture into some aged or smoked varieties and see if that fares better? There are also some lovely aged goat cheeses that would have the texture you are seeking. There's quite a difference in taste when a cheese has been aged for months or even years.

There are also differences in taste when a cheese is produced in a different region; for example, Ms. Foodie had a parmigiano from Australia that was vastly different than the Italian parmigiano most people are accustomed to.

Other tasting options: hit a local wine bar and sample a few of their cheeses with an aperitif. Many restaurants offer cheese courses as well, you don't have to go high end to get great results! Just make sure to invite me along!

Good luck on your search and I hope I helped to steer you in the right direction!

xo back at ya!
Ms. Foodie

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home