F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fired up over Rizzuto's Wood-Fired Kitchen and Bar

I made a return trip to the latest addition to West Hartford's dining scene, Rizzuto's Wood-Fired Kitchen and Bar, located in the trendy brand-spankin' new Blue Back Square area. RRR and I had a delightful lunch there on our pre-move scout trip so I figured what better place to kick back on a Friday night?

Settling in at the salumi prep station I found myself eye to eye with a large round of mortadella fresh off the slicer. This meal was certainly starting off right!

"HELLLLLOOOOOOO LOOOOVVVVAAAAAHHHHHH!"

The restaurant was jam packed and there were groups of people seated around the Otto-style communal tables and lobbying for space at the marble topped bar. The noise level was a bit high, most likely due to the modern decor and high ceilings. More attention was paid to making this look like many New York wine bars/trattorias than to dining room acoustics.

I started my meal with the carpaccio of beef tenderloin with baby arugula. The dish was finished with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and a drizzle of olive oil. The beef was so thin it melted in my mouth with only the peppery bite of the arugula as a reminder.

For a main course, I just had to revisit the meatballs that RRR and I were so impressed with on our lunchtime visit, so I chose the meatballs with the house made fusilli. Now, I am not so convinced the fusilli was house made (as advertised) but it was perfectly cooked and the marinara sauce that accompanied it was so fresh, chunky and light. Quite pleasing to the palate!

As you know, I am a harsh critic of meatballs, and while the three large meatballs that came with my pasta weren't quite as good as the ones RRR and I had on our previous visit, they were still much better than I've had in most restaurants. They were finely ground with only the slightest hit of garlic.

And while I was busy people watching (as one often does when dining solo) I noticed the woman seated next to me had the "market fish" with large spears of grilled asparagus. I was tempted to ask her for a taste (all in the name of research of course) but I refrained. I also refrained from trying one of the many delightful looking desserts I saw coming out of the prep area. Next visit, I'll plan out my meal a little better to leave some room for dessert.

Overall, this was a quite impressive experience, especially when noting that this restaurant has been open for only about two and a half months. Service seemed to be fairly smooth and the dishes that I saw leave the kitchen were quite impressive. Atmosphere, quality food, good service and gentle prices? Sign me up!

NOTE: I took two meatballs home and had a hearty meal of a toasted meatball sandwich with a side of mesculn greens, beets and goat cheese. Nothing like having a great meal twice!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home