F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

West Hartford Farmer's Market

Not quite the Union Square Greenmarket but at least there is a farmer's market! Yes, life in surburbia makes me grateful for whatever culinary gifts I receive.

After perusing the few stalls mainly filled with plants, I managed to taste some lovely cow's cheese and purchased two varieties of cucumbers: lemon and verbina.

The woman running the stand suggested trying these odd shaped lemon cucs chopped up in a tuna salad and I think add some capers, salt, pepper and mustard and call it a day! I am expecting a slightly tart taste to them when I finally get to chopping.
I also bought some verbena cucumbers which are apparently used for pickling. I had one verbena with some pickled beets and goat cheese over mesclun greens and then in a simple salad of cucumber, grape tomatoes, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The verbenas were firm and fresh and not bad for 50 cents.

Not too shabby as I've only begun to get a taste of Connecticut produce!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home