F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Pork Chops, Zucchini & Tomatoes - oh my!

Inspiration can come from the oddest places. RRR told me about a recipe she saw as part of an ad for wine - pork chops with zucchini & tomatoes. Simple, low-cal and a one pan dish... what could be better?

So I gave it a shot this week and the result was a delicious easy meal that will certainly be a staple in my kitchen repertoire.

I'd give precise amounts, but as most home cooks would tell you, the best results are found when you 'wing it', which if you are a bit "OCD" like me, that can be tough. The recipe below is based on 4 pork chops, so I halved it and made two chops instead.

Season pork chops with salt, pepper & thyme and sear chop for 2 - 3 minutes on each side. Remove chops from pan and saute garlic & (1) onion. Stir in 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and 2/3 cup chicken broth. Add 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes. Return chops to pan and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 15 minutes, turning once.

Remove chops from pan and add (1 1/2 lbs) zucchini. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Serve over rice (if desired).

The pork chops were cooked to perfection and remained juicy even when reheated. The balsamic and broth made a wonderful tasty glaze for the zucchini and tomatoes. I also added rosemary instead of oregano since that's what I had on hand, and it brought the flavor of the vegetables to another level. Rosemary can be overpowering, so take care not to add too much. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home