F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Happy Labor Day!

What better way to celebrate Labor Day than with an all-American dinner of steak, spinach salad, tomatoes, cucumbers & corn on the cob?

Since most of yesterday was spent nursing the mother of all hangovers and I've been eating like crap all week last week, I decided to hit myself to a dinner courtesy of the Union Square Greenmarket. Monday's not the best day to hit the market, but I managed to snag some fresh, crisp cucumbers and a few super ripe Jersey tomotoes.

Corn on the cob came courtesy of the Garden of Eden market (not a decent corn purveyor to be had) and my skirt steak came from the always delightful (note sarcasm here) Food Emporium.

As the corn was boiling away I finely minced 3 cloves of garlic with some fresh rosemary to almost a paste-like consistency. After giving my steak a quick squirt of olive oil spray (for the calorie conscious) I generously seasoned with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and rubbed my garlic & rosemary into the slivers I had cut into the meat.

Unfortunately my NYC apartment is not grill-friendly so the steak was cooked on the stovetop, 5 mins or so on each side. Oh to have a grill!

The produce was fresh, crisp and certainly makes one appreciate all the fresh food that New York has to offer. The steak was cooked to perfection - red on the inside, not too tough, not too rare and quite flavorful. I paired this with a 2005 California Zinfandel which had enough depth to stand up to the beef but not to strong to overpower the veggies!

What a fantastic end to a long weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home