F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Monday, March 05, 2007

More from the Pizza Files: Gonzo

Gonzo is one of my favorite places to go for pizza in the city and late last week, I was able to make a return visit with Ev-O.

I started the evening off with a Gonzo Bellinitini, a delightful concoction of vodka, prosecco, white peach juice and triple sec. After navigating all of our dining options (and there was an abundance of amazing fare to choose from) we decided to split the arugula and prosciutto pizza.

The thin crust was crisp and perfectly charred with a generous topping of baby arugula, thinly sliced prosciutto, gooey cheese and a fresh tomato sauce.

I followed this carbalicious beauty with an order of rigatoni with roasted cauliflower and toasted bread crumbs. The cauliflower was so tender and probably roasted for so long that it melted into the sauce that accompanied the pasta. Toasting the bread crumbs added a nutty bite to the meal and I don't think I came up for air until I saw the bottom of the plate.

Ev-O followed the pizza with the beet salad with gorgonzola and walnuts. The appetizer portion was tiny, (note: we were advised it was small) and she wasn't feeling well, so therefore, as usual, Ms. Foodie was the glutton of this dining duo.

We did manage to have dessert and Ev-O went with the coffee gelato while I continued my high caloric journey with the pecan praline ice cream sandwich. The cookies had a meringue consistency and inside contained chocolate covered toffee. Despite the "heavy" description, the cookies were quite light. The creamy vanilla ice cream in the center was simply delightful and the fudgey sauce drizzled on top made it rich enough to satisfy my insatiable sweet tooth without going overboard.

Unfortunately, the poor service overshadowed what was otherwise a pleasant meal. Our hostess and waitress were very attentive when we were first seated but as the evening progressed, it was increasingly difficult to get anyone's attention. Ev-O had to ask twice for a Diet Coke and my glass remained empty for quite some time before I could get my hands on a wine list. Not able to properly describe some of the wines, the waitress offered me some tastes. I had to ask twice for my tastes and then chase someone down to actually order a glass once I made a decision. By this time, my pasta had arrived and I was hesitant to start eating without glass in hand.

For a restaurant whose praises I like to sing, this was a highly disappointing experience.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home