F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Summer lovin'

Once summer arrives, I always seem to get the same cravings: tomatoes, corn on the cob and grilled steak. Unfortunately city living doesn't always afford the opportunity to grill and while I am certainly no exception to that rule, I manage to work around it with my trusty grill pan.

On Saturday, I splurged on some $4.50/lb heirloom tomatoes at the Union Square Greenmarket. There were some nice Jersey tomatoes at a more reasonable price but I was too exhausted to battle the Greenmarket crowd in order to comparison shop and instead chose the best looking stand closest to my destination.

I also settled on some bi-color corn on the cob since my favorite all white corn was nowhere to be found. Add some skirt steak from the supermarket, along with some basil and cucumbers from the Greenmarket and I was on my way to an amazing meal.

So before heading out to Yankee Stadium with Goldie on Sunday, I marinaded my skirt steak. Garlic, roughly chopped scallions, soy sauce, olive oil, salt, and pepper thrown into a handy Ziploc bag and the heavy lifting was done.

And while the water was boiling for my corn on the cob, I let the meat come to room temperature. During this time, I gently chopped up one of my expensive tomatoes, a cucumber, some basil; mixed with some kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, balsamic vinegar and some extra virgin olive oil and I had a simple, fresh and beautiful salad to go with my meal.

Now just a quick sear of skirt steak with some time for the meat to rest and my meal was complete.

The taste of summer just doesn't get any better than this!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I was eating steak right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home