F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Bohemian Cinco de Mayo

Saturday, Rockstar and I headed out to Queens to meet Thighs (formerly RFW) at the Beer Garden. If you are not familiar with the Beer Garden, it's official name is the Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden. It is THE outdoor drinking haven in Astoria, where you can fight for real estate on the Hall's many picnic tables; drink countless pitchers of beer and eventually stand in the grill line for something to eat. After a couple of Hoegarden's it was time for Foodie to get some nourishment before she passed out.

Eventually, I made it to the front of the line where I ordered the signature Kielbasa with fries for me and the portobella mushroom with fries for Thighs. The Kielbasa was crisp and well-charred with a nice snap to it. I grabbed two slices of seedless rye but sadly my sandwich-making skills (read: motor control) wasn't so sharp. No worries, the Kielbasa was so tasty that it didn't need the bread or the spicy mustard that accompanied it. The fries were decent but it was really the meat that stood out here; impressive given the pressure on the cooks to keep the line moving.

Thighs' mushroom was meaty and garlicky and served on bread although it stood up pretty well without it.

After a few more pitchers, we moved on to a Mexican restaurant whose name is escaping me. Margaritaville? After one super sweet Margarita on the rocks with salt our food arrived. I ordered a combo platter but I must say I am not quite sure what arrived in front of me.

There was chicken in a mole sauce and a sweet yellow corn tamale also with chicken. Red beans and some rice whose crunchy grains tells me it's been sitting on a warmer for some time rounded out the meal. With such great Mexican to be had in and around the city, this restaurant certainly didn't stand up to the competition.

Recounting the day's events with Thighs this afternoon I think she summed it up perfectly: "Our meal wasn't really that good was it?"

Next trip to Queens: I'll have one Kielbasa and a Portobella Mushroom to go!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home