F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Not So Lazy Sunday Afternoon

With a busy week ahead and a not-too-healthy weekend of eating and drinking behind me, I took some time this afternoon to prep some meals for the week.

First up was some simple roasted asparagus generously seasoned with Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, fresh thyme and a light grating of fresh nutmeg.

While that was roasted I cut up some zucchini, yellow squash and an orange pepper; seasoned to pretty much the same proportions as the asparagus (sans nutmeg) and let the oven do the heavy lifting.

Once those trays were going, I cut up some thick chunks of crimini mushrooms and a few cloves of garlic. Once the garlic was fragrant, I added the mushrooms, a touch of chicken stock, salt, pepper, some more garlic powder (for good measure!) and lots of thyme. I continued to season as the mushrooms began to release some moisture and added lots of ground pepper in an ode to my Grandmother's super peppery mushrooms that I always enjoyed growing up.

With my vegetables just about complete, I sauteed some chicken seasoned with my trinity of salt, pepper and garlic powder in a large pan. I flipped the chicken and added some slices of ginger. Once the other side of the chicken had browned, I added a bit of Sherry to the mix. When the chicken was fully cooked, I removed from the pan and added a bit more Sherry to make a savory pan sauce; scraping up what brown bits remained at the bottom of the pan.

NOTE: Forgive the lack of play-by-play photos...my camera battery died during my cooking frenzy!

After enjoying a piece of chicken with some asparagus and a healthy serving of the crimini mushrooms, I prepped a marinade for tomorrow's cooking adventure; a slight rip on Nigella Lawson's spare ribs recipe. Stay tuned...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home