F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

A ziti filled Easter

Today, I spent Easter with my Dad and Marie. Our normal holiday routine is to go to one of two local Toms River restaurants, Jack Baker's or the Old Tyme Tavern. What can I say, my Dad is a creature of habit and it's one of his many traits I've inherited.

Marie decided to shake things up a bit this year and make dinner instead. She served what she calls a 'simple' meal of baked ziti served with meatballs, sausage, pork (the usual Italian Sunday meal accouterments) along with a mixed salad with olives and tomatoes.

Let me take a moment to talk about Marie's ziti. First off, I am not a huge baked ziti fan but there is just something about her ziti that sends me into a cheesy carb frenzy. Perhaps it's the soft noodles, the gooey cheese, the hearty tomato sauce or the right amount of seasonings. I don't know and I don't care. All I know is that it's magically delicious and the only baked ziti I'll eat.

Today was no exception. The ziti was "downright kick ass" (a recent quote I borrowed from Unc) and after Dad and I polished off a bottle of wine we went back for a bit more.

Equally amazing was the strawberry cheesecake I purchased at the last minute at the Garden of Eden. Who knew? Light, creamy and the perfect size for three people. And with a nice piece to take home!

The best part of the day was what I find most rewarding as a home cook (and one of the main reasons why I enjoy writing this blog). There is something so deeply satisfying when someone enjoys a dish that you've put your heart and soul into, and in this particular instance, a recipe you've spent years perfecting.

I've experienced that myself when friends and family go ga-ga over a dish I've served and I can tell Marie felt that appreciation today as I was freaking out over one of her signature recipes. A cook can never hear too many compliments! The large hug that I received at the end of the day made me realize that my gluttony provided some happiness in what has been a tough and emotional period in her life as of late.

And just knowing that you have brought some light to someone else's day sends good karma and positive vibes back to you instantly. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home