F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Monday, May 21, 2007

The Egyptian Bagel Taste Test: The Grand Finale

In an effort to clean out my freezer and to celebrate "killing it" in a 10K road race on Saturday, I decided to try the final bagel from Jared's Bagels, my friend's bagel company in Cairo.

I wasn't quite sure I even had a bagel left, but sure enough, there it was wrapped in foil and a ziploc baggie in my freezer. I decided to defrost it in the microwave for 45 seconds and if it looked decent, give it a spin in the toaster.

The multi-grain made it through and after it toasted it looked as fresh as when Sarita gave me a bunch to try at home. I spread butter on one half, peanut butter on the other and settled in for my morning carb-fest.
The bagels from Jared's are certainly more dense than anything you would find here. The toasted sesame seeds and I believe a touch of honey made this bagel more satisfying than the airy dough-fest you find at your local deli.

I'm sure it's the water and I'm pretty sure a hard core bagel fan might disagree with my review but my friend surely has a hit on her hands with this business.

Maybe I'm biased and maybe she'll just have to ship me a few dozen so I can be sure!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home