F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

A New York Classic!

Saturday night, Bomber and I went to a bar party on Houston Street. As our cab pulled up to White Rabbit, I realized that we were just steps away from one of my all time favorite places, Katz's Deli.

Yes, I know it's uber-famous, touristy, and in countless movies and television shows but I love it! Blame it on The Sopranos a few week's back where Tony calls Hesh and Hesh is sitting in Katz's having a sandwich, but I've certainly had pastrami on the brain for awhile now. And low and behold, I find myself a few doors down from the meat mecca.


And being quite the lightweight, after a ginger martini, three Stoli O and sodas and one Stella Artois for good measure, I was quite tipsy and ready to get my pastrami on!

As we waited for our turn, I noticed our server got a steaming new piece of pastrami for the gentlemen in front of us! Sweet!!!! I tried to snap a photo or two without him noticing, but not much gets past these meat carving masters not to mention that at this point my motor control was a bit off kilter so I wasn't so stealth with the camera. And when we received our obligatory plate of pastrami pieces, the last thing I wanted to do was take some pictures.

But I digress... Bomber scooted over one counter to grab a knish for us to share and I hungrily watched our pastrami sandwich get freshly sliced and our rye bread slathered with spicy brown mustard.

I can only imagine the stupid drunken look of pure delight on my face and when the gentleman asked if we wanted some pickles, I could only muster a grunt and an affirmative nod of my head.

But back to the meat - the peppery black outer coating gives perfect spice to the pink tenderness of the pastrami. The meat simply melts in your mouth and the kick of the mustard your palate gets on the backside is pure heaven!

Add some fresh green tart pickles, a doughy potato knish and a diet Dr. Brown's creme soda and I'm more than ready for Sunday's hangover.
Bring it!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home