F Is For Foodie

A foodophile's blog dedicated to a life of dining out, eating in, cooking up a storm and making sweet sweet love. Now that I have your attention, can we talk food? The names have been changed to protect the innocent and the hungry.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Golden Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives - It's Real Simple!

I knew that this week was going to be a busy one. That being said, I spent my Sunday preparing some healthy quick meals for the week. For an easy, low-cal meal I decided to try one that recently caught my eye in Real Simple magazine called Golden Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives.

1 cup long-grain rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thirds
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 large yellow or other kind of onion, thinly sliced
1 cup large pimiento-stuffed olives, quartered
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
3/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

If using, cook the rice according to the package directions.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly soft, 5 minutes. Add the olives, garlic, and tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Return the chicken to the skillet, add the wine, and bring to a simmer. Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has slightly thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Divide the chicken among individual plates and spoon the sauce over the top. Serve with the rice.
Makes 4 servings.

This "sauce" would also work very well over a firm white fish, shrimp, pasta or even some lean pork. A nice little trick to have these pantry ingredients on hand to liven up what would otherwise be an everyday boring meal.

I substituted olive oil Pam for the oil to shave off a few calories and used a sweeter Italian white that I had on hand versus the suggested Sauvignon Blanc. I was surprised how tasty this dish was and how the salt of the olives was a perfect complement to the sweet of the onions (I used yellow) and tomatoes. I continually seasoned the dish throughout the cooking process as well, which is my usual method but otherwise pretty much stuck to what is written above.

This dish came out so well; that I offered some to Piggytails for lunch. When something is this good; it is hard to keep to yourself!

Don't you wish you sat near me at work?

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When is F is for Foodie opening her own restaurant? I tasted this meal and all i can say is W-O-W.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home